Mis-adventures of a Letterboxer-Errant

"A letterboxer errant without trail entanglements would be
like a tree without leaves or fruit, or a body without a soul"

(dvn2r ckr c. 2005)

Oh the places we will go! Dr Seuss

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, VA, United States

a little kernel of a chaos manager for three children & a small amoeba of the US govt

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Halfway to Ararat!

Noah endured rain for 40 days & 40 nights. Seattle's not terribly far behind. 23 days and counting... The longest stretch of rainy days hit Seattle in 1953 and that lasted 33 days. Wonder if we'll break the local record?
...
As I type this, I'm watching 'walls' of water pass over Puget Sound and slam against our windows and walls. I hear the wind howling as it blows past. I see ferry boats struggling to keep their schedules as the treacherous waves toss about. I hear the major East-West interstate is closed due to an onslaught of snow, the primary North-South interstate stretch is closed in multiple areas due to mudslides and that multiple railroad stretches are out due to washouts and mudslides. Fun!
...
Welcome to Northwest Winters!!! Another illustration of the importance of double bagging letterbox components...of course, that's only helpful if the letterboxes don't float away. ;) By the way, many of the regional rivers are swelling beyond flood-stage limits so be careful out there. Never forget this when the rains stop and you are considering whether to plant a letterbox very near to the banks of a river or stream--things aren't always as they seem in the different seasons. Oh, I think I see a sliver of blue sky out there--peering between the rain clouds. Nowadays, I'll take my sun any way I can get it! ;) Stay safe out there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

You're right about that! I went to check upon a letterbox planted sneakily by the banks of a benign lake in Federal Way, only to find it drowning in the swollen lake. Ugh! Thankfully, it was trapped under a bridge-of-sorts, or else it would have floated away! Alls well that ends well; the logbook and stamp were nice & dry inside their ziploc bags, but the whole box was full of water!

Is winter over yet??

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google