Mis-adventures of a Letterboxer-Errant

"A letterboxer errant without trail entanglements would be
like a tree without leaves or fruit, or a body without a soul"

(dvn2r ckr c. 2005)

Oh the places we will go! Dr Seuss

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacific Northwest, VA, United States

a little kernel of a chaos manager for three children & a small amoeba of the US govt

Friday, August 12, 2005

Perseid Meteor Shower, Violins & other interesting musings...

Last night, I took trkr out to enjoy the Perseid Meteor Shower in all of its glory. We had a beautiful clear starlight sky, perfect for enjoying the meteor shower. In our first hour of observing it, we counted 15 meteors! Then, I decided to grab the sleeping bags and we spent the night outside--camping without all the fuss beneath the beautiful star-scape.

This past week had been awesome, despite having had to go back to the office for a couple of days. I've done my best to squeeze in as much as summer as I possibly could before the good weather heads South for the Winter. I spent a couple of days with a good friend who just returned from modern day Babylon. It was nice to hang out with her again. Boy, have we both been around the world and back a few times, literally, since we last saw eachother. Things have changed quite a bit but it was so great to see that so many things are still the same!

I picked up the violin again. Now, it's been a LONG time, something like 24 years!!! I'm definitely rusty on it but it feels good to be able to make some music again. I worked my way through some scale sets, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Frere Jacque, The First Noel and a few others--but I definitely need some more practice. It's so sad that I've basically forgotten how to read music (quickly). I can't wait to get back into it a bit and challenge myself with trying new music every so often. It definitely lifts the spirit!

I've also caught several great films recently (they're new to me) that I checked out from the library (you can't beat the price!!!):

The Dreamlife of Angels--a French film (dramatic)
The Seagull's Laughter--an Icelandic film (dramatic)
Whale Rider--was it New Zealand?
Secondhand Lions
Laws of Attraction
La Stanza del Figlio--Italian drama (tearjerker)
My House in Umbria--HBO movie set in Tuscany, based on the book by the same name
Dark Blue World--a Czech romance/drama/history (very well done--beautifully made)

If you're looking for some interesting movies, you may enjoy these--I certainly did. They're a blend of drama, foreign, romance--definitely chick flicks! Nice way to spend some time when my brain just needed to 'rest'.

Well, tonight's trkr's 'potty party'. It seems he's finally decided to eschew the 'pull ups' for big boy undies. We'll commemorate the momentous occasion with a potty party. I spent the morning making a 'potty' cake. Lemon pound cake with lemon icing. I'll post pictures later! We'll play a few games--pin the undies on the person (sort of a game) using toilet paper as the blindfold and then there's also an option to pin the diapers on the trash can, as well.

Anyway, so that's where life has led me recently. It's been quite an adventure these past few weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google